Thursday, September 10, 2009

SUMMER FILM ROUNDUP AND THEN SOME

I didn't get to the movies all that much this summer but here's a mix of what I did see at one place or another. I'm desperately in need of recommendations of anything between filmed between 1925 - 2009.

Julie & Julia - Loved the Meryl Streep bits, hated that whiney blogger chick. When is Twerking gonna get a book deal with an option for a future film?

Whatever Works - I like your work Woody Allen and I hope you continue making films showcasing your creepy tendencies toward women 50 years younger than you for another 50 years.

Tyson - This was like Animal Planet goes boxing. I was simutaneously attracted to and saddened by watching the rise and fall of the primal creature known as Mike Tyson. Why didn't the filmmaker mention Tyson's biggest legacy a.k.a. Mike Tyson's Punch Out for Nintendo?!

The September Issue - Major post-traumatic stress disorder of my days as a magazine editor was evoked from watching this film. Served as a good reminder that fashion people are bonkers. Even Anna Wintour's daugher thinks so.

Antichrist - As a die-hard Lars Von Trier fan, I was not disappointed. Creepy, beautiful, horribly misogynistic and Willem Dafoe having real (not simulated) sex at age 54 was actually a pleasant sight. In fact, it might have been the only pleasant sight in this film. In a good way.


STILL NEED TO WATCH (AND IN MY POSSESSION):

The Belly of an Architect - I've never seen a Greenaway film so I'm gonna start here. It won the Palme D'Or in '87.

Touching the Void - Mountain climbing documentary about dudes who almost die. I just like how the title is evocative of Gleaming the Cube.

The International - Tom Tykwer's The Princess and the Warrior is one of my favorites, as is Run Lola Run. Then he made that piece of poo Perfume so maybe he'll be redeemed with this.

Strange Circus - THE SEQUEL TO THE SUICIDE CLUB!!!!!!!

Manhattan - Somehow I've never seen this Woody Allen film. I don't even know much about it but someone once told me it wasn't a comedy so I was always like, next.

1 comment:

Liam-Sean said...

And watch "Drowning by Numbers", so pretentious and so fabulous! I wish someone would build that giant sailhouse here!