Sunday, January 25, 2009

ILL-CONCEIVED DUETS THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED


Johnny Cash Remixed arrived in the mail yesterday and I actually popped it in and gave it a listen because sometimes these dead-but-not-forgotten compilations can be surprisingly good (see Nina Simone: Remixed and Reimagined). This one is not.

Leave it to executive producers Snoop Dogg (of Doggystyle fame), John Carter Cash (his only son with June) and Mathew Knowles (Beyonce's dad!) to cash in on the man in black's legacy in such a horribly conceived way. I mean, track four says it all: I Walk the Line, QDT remix featuring Snoop Dogg. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Luckily, most of the tracks are neither good nor bad, much like the DJs who remixed them. The only two standouts are Big River, remixed by Count De Money and Ellen Allien's ex-boyfriend Apparat's take on I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow. Counting de money indeed.

If anyone wants my copy, along with bonus dvd documentary, let me know.

I Walk The Line (QDT remix ft. Snoop Dogg) - Johnny Cash
I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow (Apparat Remix) - Johnny Cash

No comments: