There are songs that I love and songs that I hate and then there are songs that literally changed my life. How, you ask? There's a longer story behind each one of these but here's the quick rundown:
1) Swing Out Sister - Breakout. I liked this song so much that I bought the full-length cd (which sucked). Notable because it was the first compact disc I ever purchased back in '87. Gay!
2) Louchie Lou & Michie One - Rich Girl. Hearing this on a friend's cassette while living in Providence made me a quick dancehall convert circa 1997.
3) 2 Live Crew - Me So Horny. My sister and I bought this cassette single at Tower Records and played it incessantly on my parent's car AND home stereo. Sadly, I was 9 and didn't know what horny meant.
4) Fischerspooner - Emerge. Club Turnmills. London. 2000. DJ Dave Clarke played this song in the months before electroclash blew up and I grew so obsessed that I emailed him and described the song I had heard in his set to find out who these wunderkinds were.
5) M.I.A. - Lady Killa (Diplo Mix). M.I.A's Piracy Funds Terrorism mixtape, masterminded by DJ Diplo, solidified both his and her careers as well as a heavy rotation spot in my sets to this day.
Care to share the songs and stories that changed the path of your life?